Find information here on various ceremonies, including funerals.
Funerals and End-of-Life
Planning Your Legacy – Department of Veterans Affairs Survivors Toolkit – large file size – may take a few minutes to load.
Bronze Cemetery Flag Holders
The Waupaca County Veterans Service Office (CVSO) is honored to supply local Veteran Service Organizations and Cemetery Officials with bronze flag holders and accompanying flag, for use in cemeteries. These devices are provided to these entities free of charge to be placed at the grave of honorably discharged veterans. These devices serve to memorialize and honor the military service of the interred.
Waupaca County is home to over 68 cemeteries including the Central Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery (CWVMC) operated by the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs and located near the Wisconsin Veterans Home Campus in King. It should be noted, the Waupaca CVSO does not provide bronze flag holders and cemetery flags to the CWVMC.
The Waupaca CVSO stocks one size of flag and multiple bronze flag holders corresponding to the period or conflict the veteran served in. Below are both the state and federally recognized wartime periods (beginning year 1916). For those whose service does not fall within any of these time periods, the veteran’s service is considered to have been during peacetime.
The state of Wisconsin designates the following wartime periods: (Note that these may vary slightly from federally designated wartime periods)
- World War I, between April 6, 1917, and November 11, 1918. Extended to April 1, 1920, if service was in the Soviet Union.
- World War II, between August 27, 1940, and July 25, 1947
- Korean War, between June 27, 1950, and January 31, 1955
- Vietnam War, between August 5, 1964, and January 1, 1977
- Persian Gulf War, between August 1, 1990 and (an ending date yet to be established)
- Afghanistan War, between September 11, 2001, and (an ending date yet to be established)
- Iraq War, between March 19, 2003, and (an ending date yet to be established)
Under current law, VA recognizes the following wartime periods to determine eligibility for VA Pension benefits:
- Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917 for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or adjacent waters)
- World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)
- World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
- Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
- Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)
- Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)
Request Help for Your Veteran-related Event